Say goodbye to stiff, sore, aches, and pains with this inflammation-fighting smoothie. Cherries, pineapple, parsley, and turmeric do the heavy lifting to keep you feeling limber. Perfect for those, who like me, have arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren’s, or any other autoimmune issue that attacks the joints.
Why it’s powerful:
Cherries fight inflammation thanks to anthocyanins’ positive effects (red and purple plant pigments), which have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These plant pigments are found in all red and purple fruits, including raspberries and blueberries, but cherries—especially tart cherries—contain higher levels. Woohoo!
Pineapple has bromelain, an enzyme shown to reduce joint pain caused by osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Parsley contains the flavonoid luteolin, which helps block inflammatory proteins. It’s also high in antioxidants like vitamin C, A, and E, which can help soothe inflammation.
Turmeric is part of the ginger family where curcumin is the active ingredient. This golden spice supports immune health, helps relieve pain, and can aid in digestion, among other things. Turmeric contributes to healthy digestion as a result of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s used in Ayurvedic medicine as a digestive healing agent. Western medicine is finally catching up and beginning to study how turmeric can help with two measures of digestive efficiency: gut inflammation and gut permeability (healing leaky gut!).
- 2 large handfuls of spinach (don't worry, it's tasteless in a smoothie)
- 1/2 cup of cherries (I like frozen cherries)
- 1/2 cup of pineapple (Use fresh or frozen. Never canned, which can have added sweeteners)
- 1/4 cup of parsley, stems and all (I prefer flat-leaf parsley)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao (powder, nibs, or beans)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Water to mix, about a cup
- 1-2 scoops of collagen powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a high-speed blender or NutriBullet cup, add all the above ingredients, adding the water last and just enough to mix, about a cup.
- Blend until smooth.
- Drink, and jump for joy!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 180Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 8gSugar: 18gProtein: 13g