Today we have a guest who has gone into the “dark woods” and made it out the other side. There he learned that individuals and organizations can DO and BE ANYTHING if two things are in place: a model of success and the tools to reach it. He’s dramatically improved the lives of over 500,000 individuals struggling with depression, PTSD, and other health issues. He’s an Anthropologist, as well as the founder of Wolf Tribe Institute… AND, yes! He works with wolves on a regular basis: Philip Folsom!
What We Discuss:
- 00:01:54:00 – “If you want to grow and develop and transform yourself or get healthy, you have to enter the woods at the scariest, most bleak, shadow-filled place. Which is of course what we try to avoid, which is why change is so hard.”
- 00:05:53:11 – The female orgasm.
- 00:09:48:03 – Phillip explains what the “dark woods” means.
- 00:09:48:05 – The raw resistance of fear is why we can’t change diet, lifestyles, lovers.
- 00:10:16:23 – It takes a death of self. Death is a terrifying thing to do by yourself. It takes someone else.
- 00:11:10:17 – Alcoholism journey
- 00:12:13:11 – Willpower is a muscle. it’s not a finite resource. you have to work on it.
- 00:16:25:21 – Phillip Discusses the lack of “sickness” in indigenous tribes.
- 00:17:40:22 – Kinship vs Ego
- 00:19:16:16 – “It’s impossible for us to KNOW more than 70 people” discussion.
- 00:20:38:22 – People “have” the planet because “we got really good at bonding”.
- 00:22:04:24 – Dire wolf skull
- 00:22:32:12 – Explanation of how your brain responds to the scariest thing on the planet: humans.
- 00:26:11:04 – A week, a month, a decade awash in stress hormones…
- 00:26:33:08 – Low-Grade Chronic Stress is making everyone sick
- 00:28:36:22 – Autoimmune issues and PTSD survivors
- 00:38:00:20 – Loneliness leads to cortisol
- 00:38:47:10 – Shame regulates behavior
- 00:41:31:13 – Pride based systems are not time tested. In primitive cultures that’s insanity.
- 00:54:28:13 – How to find and build your tribe
- 00:54:41:14 – Wolf Sanctuary
- 01:00:05:19 – Why “Getting Ahead FIRST” is the BS You’re Feeding Yourself.
- 01:02:05:13 – Question for men: “if you remove sports, alcohol, and your job” who’s your tribe?
- 01:05:46:06 – Go find your men’s groups
- 01:08:45:06 – “Connection” is a step towards healing, according to the Autoimmune Protocol
- 01:13:32:22 – How absolving each other’s shame can help you heal.
- 01:15:44:22 – Why do you keep circling the mountains?
- 01:16:44:21 – The importance of “service-based” purpose
- 01:17:36:00 – For the Phoenix to be reborn, she has to die.
Links from this Episode:
What Did You Think? I’d love to hear from you! After you’ve listened to this episode, leave a comment and tell me what your favorite takeaway is and why.